Saturday, May 17, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Wonders of Nostalgia

I have to admit I have been madly in love with Indiana Jones since I first saw him on the screen when I was in college. There was a herd of of who hung out together and every time we got an opportunity to show the movie to someone else, or got bored, or just needed a fix, we'd go see "Raiders of the Lost Ark." I probably spent the equivalent of my spring tuition (about 168 bucks back in those far-gone days) in tickets to this movie. My roommate's brother wore his Indie fedora with great panache and everywhere you loked you could see one of those leather jackets. I still get a kick out of seeing that movie. Indiana and I are much older now, and I think seeing the next installment is going to be like seeing an old friend. I know it will make me think of those college kids from long ago, and wish we could be sitting together in a theater in Fargo, North Dakota, on a warm spring night, silly and young and smelling of beer and enjoying ourselves without a care in the world. Bonnie, Kevin, Brian, Andy: Wherever you may be, I love you all.

No comments: